Saturday, July 19, 2008

Why I wanted to work at S3IDF
Hyderabad, Dec 2006

My interest in seeking a role with S3IDF is a result of beliefs that have been shaped by my experiences, observations and reading during the past few years. It is only in recent months that these beliefs have assumed an urgency of action prompting me to seek a role with S3IDF. I will describe the pertinent thoughts below.

It is generally believed that large-scale enterprises competing in the global economy hold the key to poverty alleviation. However, due to a large number of Indian poor being agrarian in remote, rural areas that are a long way from being part of the global economy, it will be impossible to effectively address poverty unless large-scale enterprises are complemented by strong self-sufficient local economies at the level of district and below. By definition, self-sufficiency requires local economies to be powered by small-scale enterprises that are run by the poor for the poor. And since the whole becomes stronger when the parts are strengthened, strong self-sufficient local economies strengthen national and global economies.

It is disappointing, however, that projects aimed at developing small-scale enterprises in rural areas don’t attract sufficient investments. I am confident, though, that rural people are both capable and willing to participate in operating such projects and using the services they offer. V. R. Krishna Iyer, in his efforts to establish minor irrigation and electricity projects in Kerala, insisted on people’s participation and labour, “which came voluntarily and abundantly”. He writes, “This productive contribution was largely drawn from the local villages, which gave the people a sense of possession and gram swaraj … rural youth can play a substantially creative role”. To quote a Chinese proverb, “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand”.

While I am convinced with the soundness of the above thoughts in principle, I am aware of the limitations under which they are formed – lack of exposure to the poor and rural environment. Having been brought up in middle class urban environment and worked in protected IT parks solving business problems several layers above basic human needs, the problems of the poor and rural people appear clear and solutions easy. I would like exposure to the poor and rural environment so that my thoughts can be moulded by direct contact with the issues they address. It is an intellectual pursuit as well as a pursuit for meaning in my life.

Being part of the S3IDF team, the most important personal objective I would achieve is having direct exposure to the rural environment. My project interests, in line with my beliefs, would be to build small-scale enterprises that can feed off each other and contribute in the construction of self-sufficient local economies.

No comments: